I was watching this you tube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8RcSWLBJys&feature=relmfu. I observed several things that I can implement in my own playing. First of all, this is a tappa, so It has fast taans, and is very loosely fit into the taal. The raag is khamaj
Upon listening to the piece several times, I realized that all his notes are crystal clear, and do not overlap with any other notes like I have been doing. Also, there are pauses in playing, but there are no breaks in the taan. Unlike a vocal piece, he starts off with a fast and short tune, and then builds onto that. there is a general pattern of starting high and coming down to Sa. One more thing I observed was that he during the fast portion, he pumped the bellows, and stopped on a pause or teherav. the general effect made for lots o very short pieces put in logical order. I like this because it breaks the song down into individual ideas and still keeps them in conjunction. When he plays a taan in the song, he makes it very clear as to the difference in the taan and the main line. I am not sure how he dose this, but I think it is due to a little pause, not long enough to digress from the taal, but enough to be able to make a distinction. Also when he comes back to the main line, he plays a little louder. All of these practices seem simple in words but implementation is going to be much more difficult. Dr. Arvind Thatte's crisp note playing style differs from how I have been taught to slide between notes, but it is a technique worth learning.
Upon listening to the piece several times, I realized that all his notes are crystal clear, and do not overlap with any other notes like I have been doing. Also, there are pauses in playing, but there are no breaks in the taan. Unlike a vocal piece, he starts off with a fast and short tune, and then builds onto that. there is a general pattern of starting high and coming down to Sa. One more thing I observed was that he during the fast portion, he pumped the bellows, and stopped on a pause or teherav. the general effect made for lots o very short pieces put in logical order. I like this because it breaks the song down into individual ideas and still keeps them in conjunction. When he plays a taan in the song, he makes it very clear as to the difference in the taan and the main line. I am not sure how he dose this, but I think it is due to a little pause, not long enough to digress from the taal, but enough to be able to make a distinction. Also when he comes back to the main line, he plays a little louder. All of these practices seem simple in words but implementation is going to be much more difficult. Dr. Arvind Thatte's crisp note playing style differs from how I have been taught to slide between notes, but it is a technique worth learning.
No comments:
Post a Comment