Accomplished musicians develop a technique called improvisation. I wondered how they could spontaneously come up with such tunes. After some thought, I concluded that improvisation is nothing more than fast composition; so to learn to improvise, one must learn to compose a tune. To compose, one must have many tunes or patterns in mind which can be arranged and modified. I thin the only way to learn such tunes is to listen to a lot of music from many people. The accomplished musicians are able to improvise because they have had a lot of experience singing, and listening. I go to Harmonium class, and my teacher tells me that when improvising on aalaps or taans, or during vistar, knowing basic patterns helps. Another thought I had was that the musician must adhere to the raag and the emotion of the song. For example, singing a fast taan on slow woeful lyrics would not sound right
No comments:
Post a Comment