Monday, July 23, 2012

Improvisation Continued

Everyone can improvise in indian classical music. If taken by it's raw meaning, to be spontaneous, anyone can bang out one note after the other. The trick is to make it interesting which can only be done if there are certain rules that you must follow, or a pattern that you have to fit your improvised tunes in. What I do not understand is how to improvise a piece of music and not make it sound like a copy of something else, or just patterns after patterns put in some logical order. Either the thought behind  my harmonium playing is indiscernible, or it is so simple that I get bored with it. I want to learn to make the thought behind my playing to be distinguishable. I have observed that people put pauses between the phrases that they are playing, but when I try to do that, it sounds broken or incomplete. When improvising a raag, I find it hard to come up with tunes without having a base given to me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment